Sunday, September 25, 2011

New release, new location for camera & stand...

I had been feeling pretty confident about my stand location for this weekend, especially after having seen 4 deer last week, and the buck being spotted a few days before my Saturday hunt. But after sitting on the stand for five hours Saturday and not seeing a thing, and then finding out the only pictures on the camera were of two doe and me coming to check it, I was disappointed.


The good news is that the landowner where I'm hunting spotted the buck that made the rub I saw the previous week close enough to see that he is a nice 8-pointer. Better than that is we picked out a new tree for my stand based on the travel pattern of the buck and A LOT of tracks on a new trail. Today I moved the camera to near that location and the plan is to check it on Thursday. I sure hope we get a photo of the buck. I also got a picture of the track made by the buck at 8 a.m. Sunday morning.


New Scott Release


Old fletchunter release
The other good news for the weekend is that I got a new (different) release. It seems like I have always struggled to be consistent with my shots when shooting my bow and I'm starting to think that some of that was due to my old release. I was using this release when I shot my first doe with a bow back in 1992, so a change was in order.



The new release came from my Daddy (seems like I say that about a lot of my hunting stuff...) when he changed over to a crossbow. It is a single caliper release made by Scott. It only took a few rounds of shots to see that I was going to be able to shoot much more consistent with this release. While the arrows in this picture aren't dead in the bulls-eye, you can see that I almost repeated the shot placement of two of the arrows at 20 yards. And for me this is great. Later in the day we shot again at 30 yards and I had similar results.

As of now it looks like next Saturday will be hunt #3 for the season. Maybe it will be the day that I take my first buck with my bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment