Wednesday, September 21, 2011

First Hunting Trip for Gracie

In the fall of 2005 I took Gracie on her first hunting trip when she was just 3 years old. A few weeks before we got her all dressed up in her new camo pants and went to the shooting range together and she watched us check to be sure the rifles were sighted in. She was just precious.


We drove over to Mr. Henry's farm and I will never forget that trip, and I'm sure she won't either. It had started to get cool so I had her bundled up. She had on so many layers that she had to wear one of my shirts over them all. It was an evening hunt and we were going to sit on the edge of the field so that we could see the cut-over ridge and the field.


We got out of the truck and got ready to walk about 100 yards. After about 30 yards I realized that the socks that she was wearing had bells on them! Talk about letting the deer know your coming. I told her the best thing we could do was to just rip the bells off the socks so that's what I did. It was hard for her to walk through the grass so I asked her to stand still and I walked back to the truck to leave the bells.

Finally we were ready to walk to the corner of the field to sit on the ground at a tree and we were ready to hunt. She was a little restless at first but she finally got quiet. I remember thinking I sure am proud of her. She is sitting so still and being so quiet. She was sitting between my legs in front of me and finally I leaned down to look at her and sure enough she was fast asleep. I couldn't help but laugh to myself. We didn't see anything but there were several times where we heard footsteps and we listened, hoping we might see something step out. Finally it got dark and we walked back to the truck. When we got back I can't remember if it was Jason or Mr. Henry that took the picture for us but we posed together for a photo to remember the moment. It was a special time for us both that I never forget, and I hope she won't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment